Friday, February 6, 2015

Assignment 1 - Main Post


I enjoyed the simply black and white setting it was in, as it didn't scream at me to be changed. I loved how the tree didn't swallow the entire scene, the shadows and highlights creating nice midtones.


I loved the dark sepia tone here, making it a dark day despite the sunshine. I wanted to play with the darkness and highlights to make it a dreary day.


I wanted to take a play from the previous in terms of playing with the darkness and highlights to make a dreary day from bad to worse. Instead of sepia, I kept the black and white and simply darkened the contrast.


Using cool tones, I brightened the photo to give the appearance it was a super sunny day despite the cool vibe.


I wanted to do another sepia because it makes me think to old pictures my grandma keeps. With this, however, I fiddled with the contrast some more to make it a cloudy, foggy-like day.

4 comments:

  1. The two black and white photos are very different from each other. The first one has many levels of contrast with some detail and shows more variety in texture. The second one feels a little too dark for me just because your are loosing detail as well as part of the background with the center tree. The sepia toned pictures are wonderful because they both have similar contrasts in places. The first one has the richest red color and enhances the buildings in the background. The second one does exactly what you tried to make it look like (an old photograph). Your cool toned image is my favorite and it shows the most detail in my opinion and reminds me of a cool winter day. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how the tree is the center of the photo. I like how you played with the colors and got the most out the photo for each one . I really like the first one . it is very well edited and you still have all your detail. Good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kristen. These are working well. This was a nice choice of composition. You certainly played around with filters and tools to an extent that you got five images that are all very different from one another. The low contrast of the final image is the type of image I would USUALLY say needs some stronger blacks, but this actually works quite nicely. I will say that the second image feels like you may have gone just a bit TOO red with your sepia toning. It is a bit over-saturated. Otherwise, well done. Nice experimentation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the tree in the middle is full of life and the others around it are dead. It was a very artistic look. It has symbolism and deaper meaning than just a tree...I like the edits they all stood out in their own way! I also think in the future it would be cool to brighten the tree in the middle then really make it dark on the other trees and in other places to show the symbolism even more! Great job!

    ReplyDelete